The Pawn :: iOS (iPad, iPhone and iThings)

1235»

Comments

• @robriz said:
    I think is better to limit the range to avoid problems.

Voted for.

• @robriz said:
    The new version with dot and echo is much better!!

For me it only seems to show clicked commands in the text window, not the ones I type myself. Or is there some setting I'm missing?

It would be nice if the commands stood out a bit better, e.g. by using a different text style/colour, or prefixing them with a ">" or something like that.

• @eriktorbjorn : you're right, only clicked commands as @hugh said.. It's a step forward waiting also for the long awaited typed commands to be displayed..
    Would be very nice as you suggest with a prefix ">" and also a different colour :)

• You're right, it only does the "clicked" commands currently. Also i admit that the presentation could be improved. I like the idea of a different color, perhaps just slightly fainter than different would be nice.

I'll add these suggestions to the list.

• @hugh said:
    You're right, it only does the "clicked" commands currently. Also i admit that the presentation could be improved. I like the idea of a different color, perhaps just slightly fainter than different would be nice.

Upper-case letters might work too, but maybe I'm just nostalgic for the sample transcripts from the old Infocom manuals. :)

• Not everyone would want that. The real answer here is to allow a font choice for the comands as separate from the other text.

• Same global font is ok for me :)
  • @eriktorbjorn said:

@hugh said:
    You're right, it only does the "clicked" commands currently. Also i admit that the presentation could be improved. I like the idea of a different color, perhaps just slightly fainter than different would be nice.

Upper-case letters might work too, but maybe I'm just nostalgic for the sample transcripts from the old Infocom manuals. :)

Flashback to Infocom's "Journey"... loved the transcript feature.

Not sure if world+dog will want a Pawn transcript...

• Maybe latest Infocom adventures where a little too verbose for non english people..

• Courtesy of Stefan,

A walkthrough for the remastered version of The Pawn has been added to the website;

https://strandgames.com/games/thepawn

• @hugh: Why do you sell and spoil the game at the same time? :o

• Some people will always want the walkthough. We've been thinking about putting help/walkthough into the game itself. Later, this might happen, but for now we're just posting solutions on the web page.

New features currently on my todo list have nearly all been pushed behind "making The Guild work". Progress is good, but it's a bigger game and there's more to sort out. However, after the "first pass" some new features from the list will be added to Guild. I'm hoping to have time to implement the "word suggestion" feature, as well as some of the suggestions made here.

There will be a "cheat" solution for The Guild too, I'm afraid :-)

• edited October 2017

@hugh said:
    Some people will always want the walkthough. We've been thinking about putting help/walkthough into the game itself. Later, this might happen, but for now we're just posting solutions on the web page.

Sounds like a good idea. After all, the original games did have built-in hints too. For most of them, the manuals had a set of questions with encrypted answers that the game could decrypt for you. (Tedious and error-prone enough that you wouldn't do it too often, I guess.)

The Magnetic Collection had built-in plain text hints, like this:

(The Magnetic interpreter has support for hint files as well, but I'm not sure how they were extracted.)

The downside to how it was implemented is that it would show hints even for parts of the game you hadn't seen yet. Though I guess that should be fairly easy to fix.

I also rather liked the way hints were handled in the non-collection version of Corruption: Each set of hints had three different questions, but two of them were red herrings. Even after decoding a few hints, it might not be obvious which one was the real question. For example:

Barbara has gone into labour. Help!
    I'm fed up with by beard. How do I shave it off?
    My tongue feels hairy after last night. Any advice?

The first hint was simply, "You need some very hot water".

• We discussed incorporating hints into the remastered versions, but as you mentioned, we would rather provide help for the specific locations or puzzles than doing a simple list of everything. Hints are on our ever growing todo list, but we didn't dive deeper into it, yet.
    For preservation, amusement, and some little help, we webified the original game hints and added them to the Pawn page, but as some of the hints are tailored towards the typing way of gaming, we didn't include them with the game.

The Magnetic interpreter does support the hints indeed. For the classic games they are simply coming "from the story file" and you have to enter the cryptic lines from the manuals, for the Magnetic Windows games, we extracted the hint data from the game files, beause they we not "encrpypted" anymore.

• What if you go to see a movie and with the ticket they give you the full plot? :o

• @robriz said:
    What if you go to see a movie and with the ticket they give you the full plot? :o

Don't they give the plot away with the preview/teaser?

• @robriz said:
    What if you go to see a movie and with the ticket they give you the full plot? :o

But using the walkthrough is totally optional, i.e. whether you use it or not depends solely on you. And you shouldn't do so unless you get really stuck or the solved the game but without full score.
    Looking at the actual walkthrough, we only provide the list of commands that are necessary to finish the game with full score. There is hardly anything in it about the actual plot (which makes it calling a "walkthrough" a shameless exaggeration :# )

So I think, it is more like offering a small booklet to the cinema tickets that you can read if you are missing parts of the plot... ;)

• People will always want a walkthrough, whether they use it or not. As Stefan says, you don't have to look at it.

I think if we didn't provide it, people would complain.

• Hello, what about the new version for ios with dot and commands echo? Still no updates on test flight :/

• These are on hold until the Guild beta, where they are going to be rolled out into both that and The Pawn.

Also, checkout my post about Guild progress.