The Pawn :: iOS (iPad, iPhone and iThings)

Comments

• Maybe it is possible to add one more hint about the dragon and other unfair puzzles in the hint section. So you don't touch the code and Kronos won't notice it! :D

• it's true! we had that "kronos the magician" problem as well, and probably several others. Perhaps Kronos should make a vengeful return in a sequel - now there's an idea!

• edited September 2017

@robriz dragon problem followup;

Turns out a serious bug has crept into the game. I'm not sure when it happened, but it must be present in the current release. When you die, it says "you didn't really want to do that", but then it doesn't undo and instead leaves you in limbo.

This was the situation in your picture post earler, but i hadn't realised this was the problem until i tried it myself.

I have now fixed the bug.

Here's how the dragon puzzle should play out without typing;

• Released Windows version 1.0.5.5 with fixes.

• I try not to read the spoiler.. I want to play myself, but we'll defeat Kronos!

• I found a spoiler button in the forum i didn't know. It's under the paragraph setting in the editor. So now i've hidden the info.

• Great! Will the bug be correct in ios version also? As you know, having xp, i mostly play on ipad.. :)

• I'm going to release a new Android version today. The iOS version will be submitted to Apple end of this week. Stefan has implemented save game sharing for iOS, so that's also going in.

• Good job strandgames!

• edited September 2017

I've released iOS version 1.0.6 to testflight beta (should be available soon), if you want to look at it.

fixes are:

• Improve map clarity
    • FIX: some text glitches.
    • FIX: game slowdown after playing a long time.
    • FIX: some game bugs (eg dragon problem).
    • ADD: iOS file sharing
  • Spoilers FTW :smiley:

Was on site for the whole day, missed out on some good stuff it seems.

• not sure the iOS 1.0.6.5 beta is available yet. sent to Apple yesterday. Usuaully they are fast with putting betas live.

• Not ready yet
  • Online now the ios update B)

• New versione tested: seems working smootly.. :)
    But, again, I'd like very very much an option in the preferences that will show the typed commands also in the output window, it's difficult to add? :#

• ok, let me bump up the priority of that one.

Version 1.0.7.6 has already been submitted to Apple for public release. I'll have a go at this feature and see if it can be in the next version.

• edited September 2017

:o This game is more complicated than I remember.. I dropped the keys and don't remember where.. Better start over and drop all objects in the same place! B)

• Whilst on this topic - how hard would it be to have the map display which locations have objects in which you've dropped? (It will not display any new objects so as to prevent making things too easy for people, such as the pot under the shelf etc).

• This is a neat idea. It's easy to forget where you dropped something.

But indicating objects needs some thought;

information we have

• objects "know" if they've been "looked at".
    • objects can be "carryable" (or not).
    • objects can be people, animals or inanimate.
    • objects can be simply at a location (eg when they've been dropped there) or they can be related to other objects (eg contained).

idea 1

Indicate "looked at" objects that are not people nor animals (unless dead), that are also carryable that are simply at a location, on the map at that location.

Ok, so "idea 1", is close, because it will indicate things you've dropped somewhere, at that somewhere. It will also indicate things you've seen but didn't get (but could of). This is also good.

problems

Must take care to prevent the player from snooping on anything that moves on its own. Most things don't move about, but some do. For example the horse moves about with the adventurer.

However, eliminating live objects (people or animals) will prevent this snooping, but it means you won't be able to find where you left the horse when he's working for you. Or indeed any character you've interacted with that doesn't move about.

How to indicate

Another problem is how to show this information on the map. There's not enough space inside the map box for object names. Annoyingly some object names can be quite long.

A map pop-up is not easy because the map box already had a "click on" function and also a "drag" function.

Maybe coloured dots or letter abbreviations, but would that be enough to remind the player, especially if several things use the same letter. Then what happens if people decide to make a pile of stuff in one room and the list gets too long.

Another idea is to not be too clever and simply mark a map location as having something there and leave it to the player to remember what.

Would appreciate suggestions for this indication issue.

Nevertheless, this idea is quite a good one. It just needs a bit of refinement.

• @hugh said:

Another idea is to not be too clever and simply mark a map location as having something there and leave it to the player to remember what.

With a dot.

I'll be able to live with this.

• I think you're right. Indicate something, at least, as a first version. Later if better ideas come out, then expand on it.

• A dot or a special angle

• is done!

• @hugh said:
    Must take care to prevent the player from snooping on anything that moves on its own. Most things don't move about, but some do. For example the horse moves about with the adventurer.

However, eliminating live objects (people or animals) will prevent this snooping, but it means you won't be able to find where you left the horse when he's working for you. Or indeed any character you've interacted with that doesn't move about.

At least some of the games had "FIND" and "GO TO" commands, but I'm not sure exactly what they did. As you say, it gets tricky when things can move around behind your back.

• I know. I'm due to make a Windows release soon, so this "dot" feature is going in. You guys can kick the tyres a bit.

I think even the simple dot can be quite useful, that is, until the whole map fill up with them :-)

• edited September 2017

Windows v1.0.8.6 out on itch, with the map "dot" and also option to echo click commands to the text window.

• Wow! You're fast! :)

• The new version with dot and echo is much better!!
    Only found that the scale slider in the settings is too sensible, I resized all too small I almost cannot read the text.

• edited September 2017

Do you find the scale UI feature useful at all, because i was thinking of taking it out.

The scale UI feature is global and can cause havoc, for example making everything either too big or too small to recover from. Most of the usefulness of the scale feature is now covered by scaling the font instead.

One idea, though, is to leave it but to considerably limit the range so it can only scale up or down a bit ?

• I think is better to limit the range to avoid problems.