The Pawn :: iOS (iPad, iPhone and iThings)

Comments

• Gamasutra article is a bit longish, but very interesting.

Quite a long process in order to apply a CRT skin to your game, but may be appreciated by hardline retro fans.
  • @hugh - as long as you don't make things too difficult for yourself with crt shaders... Should be interesting playing any magnetic scrolls games on an emulated green screen (with long delay fading times)....
  • It would need a variation on those shaders. A lot of the complexity can be eliminated, because we don't want to simulate TV pincushion effect, warp etc.

I was looking for something that just made the horizontal scan lines - like an old monitor, but not like the old TV colorbars or Trinitron effect, for example.

There's a second reason too; I found out the hard way that you can feed a complex shader into a desktop and it just works. Whereas the same shader can bring a mobile down to 1 frame/second - or something terrible like that.

• Most probably the reason android games have less glitz than their desktop counterparts?
  • edited August 2017

Again with the dragon: when you do something wrong you die, then the game asks you "are you sure?" But it's not clear that it is asking to restart the game..

• edited August 2017

kentucky fried adventurer? Sounds scrumptiously crunchy, something that Gollum will grab and devour on the spot :smile:

• @robriz - how did you get the dragon that quickly? Is it one of those random NCP's that wander around all over the place?

• edited August 2017

@The_Librarian : no, no, I'm playing a lot. The dragon is far..

• @robriz - ah ok, the first screenshot you posted had me confused as it showed you right at the beginning of the game :smiley:

• edited August 2017

iOS version submitted to Apple for formal review. Let's see what they say...

• Problem also in "hell": I do something wrong and die. The game resume asking are you sure? / filename / ouch bad load ... A few times and suddenly the app shut down :|

• ok, let me look into this one.

• Do you think it's normal I'm stuck at the dragon since a month, when I finished the game just 30 years ago, I read all the hints and I don't remember how I solved the problem??? :#
  • are you trying to get passed the dragon or return past the dragon?

getting past initally, click on shadows and it should suggest shining the white light into the shadows. then click on hobbits and it should suggest shining white at the hobbits.

on return, you have to wear Kronos' cloak, hat and wand.

• > Do you think it's normal I'm stuck at the dragon since a month, when I finished the game just
    > 30 years ago, I read all the hints and I don't remember how I solved the problem??? :#

:muttleysnigger:
  • Whay's up with the quote system? It just returns a null in the comment box when I want to quote somebody's post. This happened with Firefox on Android.
  • Still I can't get the parser to light the shapes and show 'em to the dragon.. I'm working on it..

• @The_Librarian said:
    Whay's up with the quote system? It just returns a null in the comment box when I want to quote somebody's post. This happened with Firefox on Android.

testing!

• quotes: this must be a browser difference thing.

• @robriz right now i'm away, but when i get back, i'll look into this. I know there's some weird stuff with the dragon, that works sometimes and not others. perhaps you've got into that "other" situtation. I'll try to make a transcript and we can compare it to your case.

• Ok, thank you. I'll try to post some screenshot >:)

• @hugh said:
    quotes: this must be a browser difference thing.

dayum yes... firefox on desktop (linux mint) works...

• edited September 2017

@robiz

I am writing a "Pawn Remastered walkthrough", but it is still in the works. What should get you past the dragon is by typing the commands

"shine white at shadows" and "point at shapes"
    This worked the last time I played through to the end and should still work (unless we broke something). Using the touch interface, you sometimes need to catch the right order for the commands, so as Hugh said, this might need some trying...

• @stefan
    thank you, I'll try and let you know B)

• test spoiler
    testing hiding spoiler

And whaddya know, it works

Use the [spoiler] tags to hide spoilers ;)

• Thanks! I knew I had seen this somewhere :) Fixed!

• edited September 2017

It works! :# :# :#
    My error was in the second move.. I tried things like

show shapes to dragon

So the code is ok even if a bit too rigid and severe..

• the code should work because we haven't changed it. The problem, as usual, is that the originals often required a somewhat precise solution. At some point i'd like to rework some of the puzzles that are just too unfair (which will involve changing the code).

The Pawn remastered is meant to have some help for the dragon puzzle. This help is in the form of additional text. It was with reference to this that i'd like to check, because it's possible that the additional text help has mysteriously stopped working.

• @hugh said:
    the code should work because we haven't changed it. The problem, as usual, is that the originals often required a somewhat precise solution. At some point i'd like to rework some of the puzzles that are just too unfair (which will involve changing the code).

The Pawn remastered is meant to have some help for the dragon puzzle. This help is in the form of additional text. It was with reference to this that i'd like to check, because it's possible that the additional text help has mysteriously stopped working.

I tell you it is Kronos hard at work behind the scenes :tongue: