Porting other classic adventure games over

How hard would it be to do a port of a text-only adventure game sans source? All I have is the binary (48k zx spectrum, adventure is called "adventure a - the planet of death".

I can do a clean-room approach, draw up a map, list of objects and so on, then use that to recreate it so that it can run on brahman?

Comments

• do you have an emulator for this game that runs on a modern machine? If you have the source for an emulator, it might be possible to modify it, adding hooks to support a (limited) GUI.

• On android it is marvin (48k zx spectrum emulator) and known as fuse on other platforms. Source should be in the GPL, will check and revert.

• On android it is marvin (48k zx spectrum emulator) and known as fuse on other platforms. Source should be in the GPL, will check and revert.

• @The_Librarian said:
    On android it is marvin (48k zx spectrum emulator) and known as fuse on other platforms. Source should be in the GPL, will check and revert.

I would think it difficult to add the necessary hooks to a complete ZX Spectrum emulator, though. Supposedly (I haven't tried them myself) it has been at least partially done for The Hobbit and Sherlock - see the Wilderlands and Foggy London web sites respectively - but still...

The Wikipedia article for the game links to an archived page with a C conversion of the game. That should be a much easier starting point. (It also mentions an updated iOS version of the game, but I know absolutely nothing about that.)

• The C version does indeed compile and run.

• @hugh said:
    The C version does indeed compile and run.

Cool.

/me tries to imagine playing the hobbit on android :tongue: